I have learned so much over the past five years about creating an online presence. There is so very much to know and most people who start their own businesses really don’t know how to create, maximize and leverage their online presence.
I know I have only scratched the surface but if I can in any way reduce your learning curve by sharing the things I’ve already learned, then that’s what I want to do.
A blog is short for weblog and it’s in actuality, an online journal. Blogs can be stand alone websites or incorporated into your website with its own page. As you can see, mine is incorporated into my website but it has its own URL so people can find it by both methods.
Creating a blog can be advantageous for a variety of reasons:
- They improve your standing with search engines as long as you post to them regularly.
- They help your readers get to know you in a more personal way.
- You can use your blog to market your existing products.
- You can use your blog to announce new product offerings.
- Blogs can help you create new information products. As you blog each day, you can actually organize your posts in such a way that you could blog a tip sheet, e-course, article or even a book.
If you want to start a blog, it’s easy. You don’t have to be a web designer or have any particular web expertise. All you need to do is go to Blogger, Wordpress, or Typepad and start using their system. They will take you through the process step-by-step.
What tips do you have about blogging? My best tip is to focus on quantity and quality. Provide your readers with useful, meaty information and post often, at least three times a week. Please share your ideas and successes here.
Creating an online presence is particularly important for coaches. If you are interested in becoming a coach or developing your coaching skills, we are starting a new coaching school based on Choice Theory, affiliated with Prairie State College. It is starting in August. If you are interested in learning more, check out the Choice Coaching Institute. You will learn more details about creating an online presence in that program.